Ads 468x60px

Friday, May 10, 2013

10//Be My Friend...?



When I initially read through the month's list of topics, this one gave me the heebie jeebies. This is a horrible topic. Who actually LIKES this topic?

Day 10: Most embarrassing moment(s). Spill.

The odd thing is that the first moment that comes to my mind, the moment that always comes to my mind when thinking of this topic, is a moment I don't even fully remember. How can this moment, this moment I don't even really remember, always come to the forefront of my mind when asked about embarrassing moments? Is 5th grade a young enough age that I was truly able to block out this "traumatizing" experience?

Now that I have built up the suspense I'm sure you all are on pins and needles waiting to hear what was so horrible in 5th grade, right? The truth? Nothing too unusual. My hometown suffered a bad flood in 1993. After which, my family moved...about 15 miles away. It doesn't seem far, still doesn't. As an elementary student, though, it was a big deal. It meant I had to change schools.
I never was, and still a, not, the "cool kid". Moving shouldn't have been a big deal, it could have been viewed as an orotundity to start fresh. Instead I was terrified. I sat in the classroom so quietly and scared. I cried. That's pretty embarrassing in and of itself. A kind classmate of mine saw this fear of mine, though, and came to comfort me. Came to offer me her friendship. Even though I don't really remember that day, I'll always be grateful.

Here's where the embarrassment gets kicked up a notch. Years later, said friend informs me that the principal TOLD her to be my friend. How pathetic is that?! How pathetic was I that the principal had to force friends on me?!

Next year will be my 10 year class reunion (What?!) and said classmate is still a great friend to me. She has moved away from home and made a great life for herself. We don't see each other much, but when we do it feels like no time has passed at all. I love that. I love her. Just as much as I did the day she rescued me in 5th grade!

3 comments:

Allison said...

Aww, I can see why it might be a little embarrassing, but it's also a sweet story! So nice that you are still friends :) Stopping by from the link up!

Christina @ The Murrayed Life said...

Oh man. Embarrassing and sweet all at once!! At least the principle had the piece of mind to pick the perfect friend for you, right?? :)

Stephanie @ Life, Unexpectedly said...

It must have been a horrible moment finding out about that. But your story also shows that in the end it doesn't really matter how a friendship started but what it comes to be. Thank you for sharing!!

 

Sample text

Sample Text

Sample Text