Ads 468x60px

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Comfort Food Alert . . .

The seasons are changing around here and I'm excited to start cooking/baking comfort foods!  I hate thinking about what weather is around the corner, but I'm just trying to enjoy the decent (though random and quickly changing) weather we have for now and not dread what's to come. 

A week or so ago, Wes came across a can of pumpkin in the pantry.  It had been there...a while; I didn't even realize I had pumpkin - it must have been on sale at some point and felt...festive!  Wes loves pumpkin pie, so he had been hinting towards that.  Well, Wednesday night I decided I was using that pumpkin (I'll do nearly anything to put off doing my homework). 

One can of the pumpkin makes two pies, which I did not want to do.  I found a recipe for pumpkin pie that used sweetened condensed milk instead of evaporated milk (since I had two cans of fat free s&c milk in the pantry) and then went on to try to find a pie crust recipe that did not call for shortening or lard ... because I didn't have any and really didn't feel like making any special trips to the store...or leaving the house for that fact, as it was raining and miserable.  I succeeded - with both!  I also found a recipe for pumpkin bars that I may use for the other 1/2 of the pumpkin - that's yet to be decided as it's still sitting in the fridge.

Anyway...here's the results:


Wednesday was also my Grandma's 76th birthday, so Wes & I took the pie over to show it off and share some of it with Grandma and the boys.  Mom was so impressed and could not believe I had made it.  No, seriously.  Not just like "Wow, you did so great - I can't believe you made this!"

We're talking "Ok, seriously, Jenna...who made this?  You did not make this.  The crust too?  It's a homemade crust?  Have you ever even MADE pie crust?"  This went on around and around for probably 20 minutes.  I called Wes into the kitchen for reinforcement.  "Wes, did I make this pie?"
"No," answers Wes.  What a turd.  Then, being the comedian he is, he said "Don't worry, once they taste it they'll believe you made it."  Jerk.  (Just kidding - I love you!)

So dad was over there and made me cut into it (I wanted it to set up more, but it turned out perfectly fine!).  It was beautiful.  Dad tasted it and reassured mom it was good.  Mom even took a bite - of the pumpkin and then separately of the crust (to evaluate, of course).  She was shocked.  It was good.  It was really good.  She was so proud. 

I cut a piece for Grandma.  Of course she didn't want it then but I told her she could save it for later.  Half an hour later I pressed her to try "just a bite".  That "bite" slowly lead to the whole piece.  I'm so proud of her.  haha  She told me more than once that it was the best pumpkin pie she'd ever had...also, "I've never liked pumpkin pie."  Astonished, I looked at mom - I had text her asking if Grandma liked pumpkin pie and she said yes.  Mom, shocked, asked Grandma again.  Grandma said she would always try people's to see if she liked it, but just had to settle with the fact that she didn't really care for pumpkin pie. 

Let's just say I had to leave a second piece of pie with Grandma.

Also, an hour after leaving Grandma's, mom text me saying they were STILL talking about the pie.

My head can't fit out the door anymore, I'm so proud!  :)

0 comments:

 

Sample text

Sample Text

Sample Text